Monday, December 15, 2014

Packing Your Maternity Hospital Bag!

I just hit the 35-week mark and with Christmas next week and Xander's birthday (also New Years Eve) right after, I wanted to get my hospital bag packed now to get it out of the way! I've had a lot of recommendations from other mommas on what to pack but I think your hospital bag really comes down to what you think you will need and use!


Hospital bag staples:

  • Tote bag - this one is similar to mine
  • Birth plan and necessary paperwork 
  • Warm socks and/or slippers
  • Loose fitting pants
  • Compression tank top
  • Sweater
  • Postpartum corset 
  • Nursing friendly shirts or loose fitting shirts
  • Pillow 
  • Your favorite towel (seriously my nerves were so shot after I had Xander that I almost cried using the hospital sandpaper towel after my shower)
  • Underwear you don't mind most likely throwing away and are loose fitting (the hospital mesh underwear are always an option too)
  •  Boppy or nursing pillow
  • Nursing bras 
  • Nipple balm (I like Milkies Nipple Balm)
  • Nursing pads (I like washable and disposable)
  • Hair ties... and then some extra hair ties because those little devils always disappear
  • Lip balm
  • Going home outfit for you (you may retain water during labor and after so wear shoes that can be worn loose in case of swelling)
  • Snacks (especially snacks you can eat with one hand and can help increase your milk supply!)
  • Hygiene items
  • Face wipes and moisturizer (I didn't have either with Xander and I desperately wished I did)
  • Dry shampoo
  • Make-up if you wish
  • * A bag for all the gifts you will receive and things the hospital will give you
  • *A pump if you plan to use one

 Electronics:

  • Cell phone 
  • Cell phone charger
  • Camera 
  • Camera charger/batteries

Other things that may be nice to have:

  • Magazines
  • Tablet

For baby:

  • Hats
  • Socks
  • Baby book (optional)
  • Going home outfit
  • Outfit for baby's pictures
  • Pacifiers you may want to use
  • Blankets for the ride home
  • Car seat
  • Car seat cover (because baby will be born in the middle of winter)

And a bag for your significant other:

  • Change of clothes
  • Hygiene items
  • Entertainment (books, magazines, tablet)
  • Snacks 
Is there anything you have found to be crucial to have in your hospital bag? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment